Friday, January 25, 2008

Garden Lightening

(not my picture.)


I have never been to a real Japanese dry garden, but when I first understood that the gravel was the sea and that the rocks were islands I wanted to tell someone. Suddenly, this small space was an entire world, and me a tiny thing. Electric.

Thank you, books and photographs.


I wonder if anyone has since used a garden space to such a powerful effect. Are there other powerful (not just beautiful) gardens out there? If so, what are their effects?
Pictures from Trinidad's historic lighthouse, from this morning...






4 comments:

SaraGardens said...

What a beautiful blog, Gardener of La Mancha (and I'm glad to have eased your mind on the Kolwitzia id). I've been thinking lately about "gardening philosophically," and your thoughtful writing (maybe especially your provocative questions) make me surer that it's the right thing to think about.

Gardener of La Mancha said...

Thanks, Sara. Yes, these are some valuable (and fun) ideas to play around with. I'm enjoying the quest.

Ellen Zachos said...

Your images remind me of a view I loved in Okinawa this December. I don't think I can post an image in your comments, so I'm going to post it on my own blog. (Give me 10 minutes.) I'm fascinated by things that are the same but different.

rapakivi said...

Funny, I'm from Trinidad and you posted this on my birthday last year :)